Wine Corner (Or practice for my next career)

Welcome to the first of what will likely be many wine postings. I am seriously pursuing a new career in the wine & spirits industry. So what better way to develop my "wine chops" then to share experiences with you! I would love it if any of you tried the wines I post and would welcome and encourage your feedback and opinion on the wines to help me learn.

Our first wine is a Tempranillo. This is a grape principally grown and best known from Spain (Ribera Del Duero and Rioja regions primarily). But also being successfully grown in our very own Washington wine regions. I have learned that "on the palate" tastes can vary widely with this grape!

A 2010 Tempranillo from the Tapena winery called "Vino De La Tierra De Castilla" in Spain came across as a light ruby colored wine with a faint aroma and a fruity/strawberry taste.
This one was purchased at Fred's on sale for $9.95 (now I know why)

A real "light weight" in my opinion.

A 2008 Tempranillo from Teft Cellars in the Yakima Valley AVA of Washington was considerably more to my liking. This nice big wine came across with a clear medium-dark red with a pleasant black cherry aroma and a peppery medium dry taste with a full bodied rich and tannic finish. I bought this one last fall on our Yakima wine tour and it was priced at $28.

A delight! I served this with my aforementioned duck with huckleberry demi-glace and it stood up to that rich dish like a champion.

ENJOY!


2 Response to "Wine Corner (Or practice for my next career)"

  1. Anonymous Says:
    May 9, 2012 at 5:59 PM

    A bottle of $5 Australian wine costs $25-30 here.
    giving up wine has been a terrible thing..

  2. Jill says:
    May 10, 2012 at 7:38 AM

    I'm all over the Alexander valley wines and will check it out! We like big huge reds here too!

Post a Comment